There's no "I" in "Team".
The day is hosted by Carrickfergus & District Senior Gateway Club, led by Thomas Haighton - who initiated the event. A steering group has been created to help steer the event in the right direction!
Learning Disability Pride Day's Steering Team consists of:
- Thomas Haighton - Carrickfergus & District Senior Gateway Club/NHSCT.
- Christine Mulvenna - Mencap Northern Ireland.
- Fiona Cole - Mencap Northern Ireland.
- Rosalie Edge - Mencap Northern Ireland.
- Selina Allen - LEAD Inclusive Counseling.
- Lynsey June - Sense Northern Ireland.
- Pauline Brady - Kilcreggan Homes.
- Linda McCausland - Caring Breaks.
- Melissa Hanley - Positive-Futures.
Why we Do It
We believe it’s essential to acknowledge the achievements and importance of everyone in society, and often people with a learning disability can be overlooked and miss out on opportunities due to lack of understanding of what learning disability means. We want to help raise awareness about what learning disability is, and how it doesn’t have to stop anyone from achieving their potential!